The village of Byrock was once a stopping point for Cobb & Co coaches who used the Byrock Rock Holes to water their horses. By 1879 the Mulga Creek Hotel was being used as a Cobb & Co change station. In 1884 the Great Western Railway from Sydney reached Byrock, and by 1886 about 500 people were living in the area.
There were ten stores, five hotels, a school, a post office, a butcher's shop and a baker's shop. It is named after the rock hole called Bai by the Ngemba tribe. The name then became the Bye Rockhole, then Bye Rock, then Byrock. Today the Mulga Creek Hotel is a popular watering hole that offers camping facilities and a bush walk through the scrub.