The village of Yantabulla was built near numerous springs. Originally called Yanda Bullen Bullen, the Aboriginal meaning is "stones around a spring" or "plenty to eat", depending on the records. The claypans on the eastern outskirts of the village have high densities of stone cores and flakes, indicating the area was a primary Aboriginal occupation site.
Pioneer squatter Vincent Dowling established Fort Bourke Stockade Station in 1859 before moving and founding Yantabulla Station on the springs. The homestead later became the Yantabulla Hotel.
Yantabulla was once a prosperous town of many houses, hotels, a store, a school, a post office, a telegraph, a police station and a lemonade factory. Cobb and Co. also had a changing station there. Unfortunately, little remains today other than the spirits of those early days.