North Bourke Bridge is Australia's oldest movable span bridge. This bridge is one of the most historic bridges in New South Wales. It is the sole survivor of New South Wales's first two lift bridges.
Opened on May 4, 1883, this lift bridge was designed by J H Daniels and modified in 1895 and 1903 by E M de Burgh, both Public Works bridge engineers.
Built at the start of the River Trade, its construction was begun by David Baillie and completed by McCulloch & Co.
The 1895 modifications led to improved designs for subsequent lift-span bridges.
The North Bourke Bridge was designed and constructed at the height of the River Trade era when the principal mode of transport for Western NSW and the Riverina District was some 200 paddle steamer-barge combinations operating the Murray-Darling River system.
It served as a Gateway structure for 114 years before being bypassed in 1997!
It is located three kilometres North of Bourke on the Kidman Way.
Please note that the North Bourke Bridge is closed to pedestrian access.