In 1955, Mays Bend was the scene for the film, 'Robbery Under Arms', starring the Australian actor' Peter Finch. May's Bend is a lovely spot for a picnic, or maybe some fishing.
Getting there: Start at the Back O' Bourke Information and Exhibition Centre. Set your tripmeter when leaving the carpark.
1. Turn left at the Information Centre, and Travel north.
2. 4km - go over the North Bourke Bridge.
3. 4.3km - turn right on the Mitchell Highway, heading for Cunnamulla.
4. 5.7km - go past Kidman's Camp Caravan Park. Continue along the highway.
5. 9.9km - turn to the right into the Bullamunta Road (gravel road, dry weather only).
6. 12.6km - turn right at the Y - intersection.
7. 15km - Continue down until you reach May's Bend. there is a lovely spot next to the river for camping.
After visiting May's Bend, you ay wish to visit the airport, which is named in honour of Australia's first aviatrix, Nancy Bird-Walton, who flew for the Far West Children's scheme in Bourke
BACK O' BOURKE GALLERY
Visit the Back O' Bourke Gallery at North Bourke on your way back into Bourke.