From the 1880s, Bourke was a thriving port handling wool bound for world markets via the Darling-Baaka River. The press called it the “Chicago of the West.”
By 1885, Bourke was accessible by rail, confirming its position as a significant inland transport hub.
During this period, Bourke was the largest inland port in the world, with three wharves that originally stood where the current replica now stands. The replica wharf is now a peaceful community place to view the Darling-Baaka River.