The establishment of a Post Office was requested in a petition to the Postmaster-General on 31st December 1860. Thomas Mathews was nominated as Postmaster. A Post Office had been opened in Wilcannia in 1860 and at Bourke in 1862.
The Louth Post Office was established on 1st March 1869, in charge of Thomas Mathews, an innkeeper. Because of the insufficient postal business (five letters per week), the Louth post office was closed on 1st July 1871.
In 1882, Charles Matthews was Editor of the Cobar, Nymagee and Louth “Liberal” printed and published at Louth. In 1890 flood, Western Herald printed on the Post Office Verandah on a small press.