The Mount Browne gold rush began in earnest around 1880, with many hopefuls arriving on the goldfields and camping near Sturt’s Depot Glen. Soon after, campsites grew on the Evelyn Creek waterhole and a whole new township, named Milparinka after the Aboriginal word for the waterhole, was established.
Although records are scant it is believed that there were four hotels in Milparinka. Of these, only the Albert Hotel has survived, trading almost continuously since 1882.
Despite renovations through the years, parts of the hotel remain as travellers would have found them more than a century ago.
Located just one kilometre off the Silver City Highway, the Albert Hotel is the only hotel remaining between Broken Hill and Tibooburra. Accommodation is available in some of the original rooms, or in motel-type cabins with a shared bathroom.
These days Milparinka is known for its award-winning heritage restorations. Whether staying overnight or just calling in for lunch, be sure to visit the Milparinka Heritage Precinct.
Camping and caravan sites are also available. Please enquire at the hotel.